• August 30, 2020 at 4:42 pm #37080
    Blank Faceblankface
    Participant

Hi,

I’m having trouble recreating this lead, I can’t seem to get the right “tone”. Any help would be great!

It’s the main lead throughout this track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8wfJNpelQc

August 30, 2020 at 9:57 pm #37087
      Jonathan EppeleJonathan Eppele
      Participant

Hi,

I’m not the Keymaster himself but I gave recreating this patch a try with Sylenth1. I focused on the section of the song between 2:18 and 3:19. Here’s what I did:

Osc 1: Medium Pulse

Sub Osc: Square Wave

Amp Env: Instant/very short release. As long as you play the notes short it shouldn’t muddy the track.

Filter: Low pass, 24 dB, cutoff is quite low.

Filter Env: Very short decay and release. Envelope amount is around 10 o’clock in Primer. Crank up the resonance knob a bit, too.

Unison: 6 voices, very heavy detune. Spread is very wide.

Distortion: Overdrive (the same distortion style Syntorial uses, IIRC), crank it up pretty high to get that grungy sound, but not so high that the sound becomes nasty.

Reverb: Large room, quite wet.

The section of the song I focused on had a lot going on with the cutoff and the resonance. Both changed a lot but didn’t seem to change together, so my guess is that the Mod Wheel controls resonance and the Velocity controls cutoff.

Velocity: Cutoff. I found that if you set the cutoff too low, the notes start to sound out of tune.

Mod Wheel: Resonance. Don’t be afraid to really crank it high for those notes with the huge filter envelope decay. Be warned that on notes with lower cutoff, it doesn’t sound as nice.

My patch doesn’t sound perfect compared to the song, but I’ve attached the file below. In particular, the resonant notes seem to have fewer highs so the Velocity destination might be the Filter Envelope instead (not available in Sylenth).

I’m sure Joe can iron out the kinks in this though 😛

Attachments:
        August 31, 2020 at 4:28 pm #37131
        Blank Faceblankface
        Participant

Hi,

I’m not the Keymaster himself but I gave recreating this patch a try with Sylenth1. I focused on the section of the song between 2:18 and 3:19. Here’s what I did:

Osc 1: Medium Pulse

Sub Osc: Square Wave

Amp Env: Instant/very short release. As long as you play the notes short it shouldn’t muddy the track.

Filter: Low pass, 24 dB, cutoff is quite low.

Filter Env: Very short decay and release. Envelope amount is around 10 o’clock in Primer. Crank up the resonance knob a bit, too.

Unison: 6 voices, very heavy detune. Spread is very wide.

Distortion: Overdrive (the same distortion style Syntorial uses, IIRC), crank it up pretty high to get that grungy sound, but not so high that the sound becomes nasty.

Reverb: Large room, quite wet.

The section of the song I focused on had a lot going on with the cutoff and the resonance. Both changed a lot but didn’t seem to change together, so my guess is that the Mod Wheel controls resonance and the Velocity controls cutoff.

Velocity: Cutoff. I found that if you set the cutoff too low, the notes start to sound out of tune.

Mod Wheel: Resonance. Don’t be afraid to really crank it high for those notes with the huge filter envelope decay. Be warned that on notes with lower cutoff, it doesn’t sound as nice.

My patch doesn’t sound perfect compared to the song, but I’ve attached the file below. In particular, the resonant notes seem to have fewer highs so the Velocity destination might be the Filter Envelope instead (not available in Sylenth).

I’m sure Joe can iron out the kinks in this though 😛

I appreciate your write up. I couldn’t upload your patch unfortunately because I’m using Serum. I don’t think I’m following your instructions right because I’m not getting it to sound too similar to the song.

For the filter, when you say the cut-off is low at what Hz are you setting the cutoff?

August 31, 2020 at 8:45 pm #37134
          Participant

I have the cutoff set at around 60 Hz. I tried recreating my Sylenth patch in Serum but also can’t get it to sound the same. I think it has to do with the Distortion effect – I’m not sure what setting gives the same sound that Sylenth/Primer gives. I’ve attached an audio file of my Sylenth patch below, for reference. Let me know if it sounds close enough to what you’re looking for. If so I’ll keep trying to reproduce this sound in Serum.

Attachments:
            August 31, 2020 at 11:08 pm #37140
            Blank Faceblankface
            Participant

I have the cutoff set at around 60 Hz. I tried recreating my Sylenth patch in Serum but also can’t get it to sound the same. I think it has to do with the Distortion effect – I’m not sure what setting gives the same sound that Sylenth/Primer gives. I’ve attached an audio file of my Sylenth patch below, for reference. Let me know if it sounds close enough to what you’re looking for. If so I’ll keep trying to reproduce this sound in Serum.

Yes! This sounds pretty much identical! It so strange how the exact same settings in two different synths gives you different results??

September 1, 2020 at 2:41 am #37143
              Participant

At the same time, if the same settings in different synths gave the exact same sound, there wouldn’t be much point in having different synths! 😛

September 1, 2020 at 8:53 am #37146
                Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
                Keymaster

Nice work guys! And thanks for fielding this one Jonathan. It’s great to have some strong ears helping out on this forum.

I find some parameters sound the same between synths, and others are very different. As Jonathan mentioned, distortion usually differs quite a bit. And the Filters can vary from subtle to drastic. While subtractive waveforms, like Saw, are almost identical.

September 2, 2020 at 4:15 pm #37183
                  Blank Faceblankface
                  Participant
                    September 2, 2020 at 4:16 pm #37185
                    Blank Faceblankface
                    Participant

At the same time, if the same settings in different synths gave the exact same sound, there wouldn’t be much point in having different synths! 😛

Yeah, I guess you’re right about that haha. I tried tinkering with the settings you had in serum but still can’t get this synth right. Its annoying I can’t get it right.

September 2, 2020 at 5:46 pm #37187
                      Participant

So I rewatched the Serum Lesson Pack video on Distortion to refresh myself on how it works. And it turns out that using the filter built into the effect in Serum gets a similar sound to Sylenth. This also means that the filter movement should be done in the Distortion effect instead of the Filter in the “Osc” section.

In Serum, I took advantage of Velocity and routed it to the Filter Envelope amount and that actually seems to sound closer to the original track.

A few other changes I made:

Changed the Osc to Saw.

I still think Mod Wheel controls Resonance. So I used the Filter Effect (Not the Osc Filter), and passed the sound through a Peak filter. The Mod Wheel controls the resonance of the filter, so when the mod wheel is turned up, you get that moving peak. But I also found that the Filter kind of ruined the sound a little on non-resonant notes, so I routed the Mod Wheel to the Filter’s Mix knob as well.

Finally, for the aforementioned resonant notes, I routed Velocity to the effect Filter’s cutoff to get those differently-pitched moving peaks.

Let me know if this sounds close enough to what you’re looking for!

Attachments:

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.