• February 20, 2022 at 8:21 pm #47173
    Synth TalkSynthTalk
    Participant

I’m trying to replicate the bassline that starts at the beginning of the song (the riff where the first 8 notes or so are a combination of G#->C->F).

See here my Massive patch: https://we.tl/t-BihLuMZoeH

Obvious issue is that it’s too dark, so you’re not hearing the higher melody. The issue there is I’m trying to route the second oscillator (or the first, it doesn’t really matter) to a separate filter so i can create that separation but it doesn’t work (even when I change the slider on the side from F1-F2 in every which combination at every point in the signal chain…).

The second is that I feel like a Oscillator detune plus chorus detune is probably unlikely. usually isn’t it just one or the other?

I think the main issue is that it sounds bigger/wider with a clearer higher melody. I feel like that’s a filter problem? Anyway, curious for your thoughts!!

February 25, 2022 at 3:41 pm #47233
      Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
      Keymaster

You can make this primarily with two oscillators one octave apart, with about a 4-voice Unison with mild detune and spread, running through a lowpass filter. That will get you the main character of the sound.

Then to bring out the bottom end add a 3rd oscillator that’s just a Sine, at the same octave as the higher oscillator, running through no filter. This will just provide the heavy bottom end.

That being said, that Sine should be solid, without any pulsation. Unfortunately the Unison will make it pulsate. So the bottom end will not be as sturdy. You could try adding the Sine as a separate patch. Or using a synth that allows you to apply unison to specific oscillators as opposed to all (Serum for example).

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.