• September 7, 2020 at 12:47 pm #37233
    Jack MartellJM0112358
    Participant

Hi,

I was wondering if you’d be able to help with recreating the bass synth which can be heard throughout this track:

It’s audible throughout pretty much but becomes most audible from around 0:40 onwards. I’m mainly interested in what kind of synth was used to make a bassline with so much movement and what parameters are modulated throughout to give it that character. Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

• This topic was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by JM0112358.
      September 14, 2020 at 6:56 pm #37394
      Jonathan EppeleJonathan Eppele
      Participant

Hi there,

I think the main character of this sound comes from a combination of Distortion and Oscillator Sync. Here’s the main parts of what I did:

Osc: Saw. Use Oscillator Sync to get that grindy sound out of it. Experiment with the semi setting to get the right pitch.

Filter: Low Pass. 24 dB. Take it down quite a bit. We’ll be adding highs back in with…

Distortion: Use a warm Distortion style and don’t be afraid to really crank it on the nastier notes.

The varying timbre of the notes doesn’t seem to be modulated by an LFO, so my guess is that this track uses a Mod Wheel to modulate Distortion amount. This way some notes sound grungier and warmer, and some sound nastier.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.