• January 5, 2020 at 10:24 am #31913
    Jannick Colebundersjannickcolebunders
    Participant

Hi!

I desperately am trying to recreate the chord stabs in the drop of I miss you by Young Franco. 0:50 in the YT-video:

It has got some kind of metallic sound so I was thinking of some kind of FM synthesis but I can’t get close to the sound. Anyone who can help me out on this one? Thank you very much!

Kind regards,

Jannick

January 16, 2020 at 11:08 am #32091
      Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
      Keymaster

Try this:

Oscillator: Pulse Wave, with the Pulse Width just shy of full square. This will give you that metallic flavor, but by not going full square you’ll also get a bit of sizzle for high-end bite. 2 or 3 voice unison, with lots of Width. You don’t want a lot of movement from the Unison, so keep the Detune pretty low.

Amp Envelope: to create the pluck shape set the Sustain to 0, and both Decay and Release to around 450 ms.

Filter: Low Pass. In preparation for the Filter Envelope, turn the Cutoff down pretty low to make it really round (see 1:24 to hear a round version of this sound to get a better idea of how round it should be). Add a bit of resonance to give to make it stand out a bit. Then…

Filter Envelope: We’ll use this to make it bright again. Turn up the Mod Amount until you get that really bright sound back. Open it all the way up. Then set the ADSR settings to match the Amp Envelope, EXCEPT make the Decay and Release a little bit faster, say around 300 ms. Now we’ll be able to hear the filter envelope movement before it gets cutoff by the amp envelope.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.