• September 28, 2018 at 7:46 pm #20487
    Edward LiuEdward Liu
    Participant

I am trying to figure all the sound on this song especially the following sounds:

Bubbly at the 45 seconds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZupDIa9e2LE&t=45
      Swell at the 55 seconds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZupDIa9e2LE&t=55

Any help is greatly appreciated.

October 31, 2018 at 12:52 pm #21297
      Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
      Keymaster

Nice classic-style patches. I used Serum, but you can really use any synth that has two LFOs.

How It’s Made

Bubbles

• Synth: Serum
        • Oscillator: Saw
        • Filter: Band Pass, 24 dB slope, cranked Res, Cutoff in the middle around 500 Hz. To be modulated by…
        • LFO 1: The bubble maker. Routed to Filter Cutoff. Triangle Wave, with a pretty fast rate (I went with 6.7 Hz). Adjust the modulation amount to taste. Turn it up until you start to get that bubbling which is caused by moving this very resonant filter up and down
        • Velocity: also routed to Cutoff. This way lighter notes will have a lower mid-point for the bubbling LFO, creating an overall rounder sound, and vice-versa for the harder notes. In the recording I played the lower pitches lighter and the higher pitches heavier.
        • Amp Envelope: Long Release at 1.75s, so you can just tap the keys and they’ll ring out
        • Voices: Poly, 2 or more. Thanks to the long-ish Amp Release, the notes will overlap a bit as you play
        • LFO 2: Route to Pan. Set the Rate to a long 2 bar, and waveform to Triangle. If your synth allows it, have the LFO synced to the host’s measure position so that it starts on the left side at the beginning of Bar 1, and slowly moves to the far right and back, over a period of 2 bars. You could also control panning with track automation, instead of using the synth

Swell

• Synth: Serum
        • Oscillators: Both Oscillators set to Saws. Pitch the 2nd Oscillator up 7 semitones. This creates the two-note “fifths” sound
        • Filter: Lowpass, 24 dB. Heavy Res, Cutoff in the middle around 375 Hz. To be modulated by…
        • Filter Envelope: Really long Attack at 2.84s. Enough Mod amount that it gets pretty bright. Hello Swell!!
        • LFO 1: Create a subtle vibrato by routing this to both Oscillators’ pitch. Pretty quick rate at 6.4 Hz. Very small modulation amount, so you just feel a subtle pitch wobble.
        • LFO 2: Route to Pan to move the sound Left to Right and back. Again, you could use track automation instead. Enable Trigger, so that each new note starts at the left side (since we’re just playing one long note we don’t have to worry about syncing to the measure position). Slow rate at 2 Bars
        Attachments:

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.