• November 30, 2018 at 12:29 pm #22139

I just discovered this forum and it’s awesome. I would like to get help with a synth sound.

The sound I’m trying to replicate is the one that comes at about 1:20 into the song. Thanks!

A.A.L. -Flash in the Pan

December 12, 2018 at 11:33 am #22351
    Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
    Keymaster

I’m assuming you’re referring to the “peeow” pad that comes in then. Here’s what I would start with:

• Oscillator: Saw wave. Probably 2-3 voice unison, with a mild amount of detune. That will create some movement, make it a little plush
      • Filter: Low Pass. Prepare this for the Filter Envelope (next bullet point) with a low Cutoff, and decent amount of Resonance to create a more juicy Filter Envelope “peeow”. If your synth has a Drive option, I would turn that up to create a saturated tone.
      • Filter Envelope: This makes the “peeow” shape. Sustain at 0, and a pretty quick Decay, and a decent Amount so that it starts bright and quickly drops down to a rounder sound. You may try increasing the Attack as well, but only a very small amount. You don’t want to hear the filter rise, but a touch of Attack creates a fatter attack transient
      • Distortion: Use this to make the sound break up a bit. It has a real lo-fi vibe, so if you have a vinyl-style distortion, that might work well. Anything that’s kind of trashy.
      • Delay: It sounds like there’s a Left->Right slapback, so the chord hits on the left side, and then you hear a single delay come in on the right side. Try a Stereo Delay, full Mix, with the Left side time at 0 (immediate) and then Right side time at 1/16th

There’s some low end in there, which either means they’re playing a big chord, or there’s a second Oscillator with the same settings as the first, except it’s pitched down an octave.

Post your attempt here and I’d be happy to provide more suggestions.

December 12, 2018 at 12:25 pm #22354

Hey man thanks a lot! Attached the result I got.

Attachments:
      December 12, 2018 at 12:29 pm #22358
      Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
      Keymaster

Great start! I think you’re most of the way there. Try adding an additional oscillator, with the same settings as the 1st oscillator, but one octave HIGHER. There’s some upper harmonics missing. The volume balance between the two is probably 50/50, but maybe the higher oscillator is louder.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.