• October 19, 2020 at 11:33 am #38019
    Nicholas JamesNicholas
    Participant

Grew up listening to eurodance tunes in the 90s. Snap!, being one of my favourites. Lately I’ve had their 2nd album “The madman’s return”, on replay, while looking over my POG collection.

The title tracks bass line is what I’m trying to replicate. The linear notes state what synths were used on the album. The SE-1, is my guess for the bass, since it has a moog-ish flavour.

The bass starts 4 seconds in. Any ideas on replicating this? Because I’m serious as cancer, when I say Rhythm is a dancer. 😉😉

October 29, 2020 at 12:18 pm #38171
      Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
      Keymaster

Because I’m serious as cancer, when I say Rhythm is a dancer.

As well you should be. This was a bit trickier than I expected. The key is in using two different waveforms in the two oscillators:

Oscillator 1: Saw

Oscillator 2: Square, 1 octave up. Slightly lower volume than Osc 1.

Filter: Lowpass, 24 dB. Cutoff about halfway down for a pretty round sound.

At this point, when you play a low C, you should hear some unexpected upper harmonics, kind of like you do in the recording. It almost sounds like a 3rd oscillator pitched way up. But for some reason these two waveforms one octave apart create their own upper harmonic, but only when playing certain notes. It gives it that organ-ish kind of sound.

Amp Envelope: Zero Sustain, with Decay/Release around 400ms.

Voices: Mono

Delay: Create a single slapback delay by turning the Feedback all the way down, setting the rate to 16th, and turning the Mix up to just below 50%.

October 30, 2020 at 1:59 pm #38189
        Nicholas JamesNicholas
        Participant

Thanks for the reply Keymaster.

Have a great weekend.

From,

The gatekeeper.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.