November 5, 2018 at 2:39 am #21402dwaynekittelsonParticipant
It’s a generally simple with a lot of FX (I think) mid range (square?) pad sitting around 300-400hz I believe.
The pad is in the opening verse of The Weeknd – The Host (Whtkd Remix)November 21, 2018 at 7:08 am #21770Joe HanleyKeymaster
This one was trickier than I expected. But you’re on the right path. Pre-FX it’s pretty simple. I think it may be bussed through two different effect chains, which is why you hear a quieter and brighter version of the patch on the left side. But, for simplicity sake, I kept it all within Serum. I think it’s close.
How It’s Made
- Synth: Serum
- Oscillator: Square wave. Pan right (about 20R)
- Amp Envelope: A little Attack to soften the attack transient, and a little release to allow for a short tail
- LFO 1: Really fast pitch vibrato. Route to Osc 1 Coarse Pitch. Very small Amount. Very fast Rate at 10 kHz. Triangle Wave.
- LFO 2: Slow volume swelling. Route to Osc 1 Level. Turn Osc 1 Level down a bit. Make it Bi-Directional. A decent Amount (about 30). Triangle wave. Very slow rate at 0.2 Hz.
- Distortion: Leave at Tube. Heavy Drive, at about 3:00. We’ll want to use the Distortion’s Pre-filter to remove incoming highs, so that we can only hear the warm tubey highs from the Distortion. So set filter type to Pre, Frequency to about 200. Boost Q to 1.7 to create a bump in the lows.
- Voices: stay in Poly mode. As each not overlaps a bit, it creates an occasional burst of distortion
- Reverb: Heavy Mix, around 60%. We want a real wet sound. Type is Hall, but the size should be kind of small for a Hall, at around 20%. Decent amount of Low and High cut at 35%.
- EQ: Finish it off with two band adjustments. First, cut at 300 Hz with -15 dB gain, and 46% Q. This will remove some of the the boomy frump. And then boost at 835 Hz, with 8 dB gain, and 43% Q to add some mids-body.
- This reply was modified 12 months ago by Joe Hanley. Reason: Forgot to mention Pan
You must be logged in to access attached files.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.