• June 2, 2022 at 12:23 pm #48189
    emilio palazzoloemilio palazzolo
    Participant

Hello!

I’m trying to recreate the ARP sound that goes across almost the whole song. I’m not sure if it’s sync, FM or if i need more external effects. What do you think?

Thanks in advance!

June 10, 2022 at 12:05 pm #48288
      Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
      Keymaster

The FM/sync tone may just be two Pulse Waves set at just the right width. I tinkered around with this one (awesome track by the way). Try this:

Oscillator: Two oscillators, one octave apart. Both set to Pulse Waves, with a Pulse Width pretty close to square, but not quite all the way square. And then pan one a fair amount left, and the other a fair amount right to get that width. And then bring down the higher oscillator a little bit.

Filter: 24 dB Lowpass. A bit of Res to make it stick out. And then bring the Cutoff down to around Noon, which will then be modulated by…

Filter Envelope: 0 Sustain, quick Decay and Release around 110 ms. Enough Modulation amount to create a nice bright attack transient.

Amp Envelope: Same settings as Filter Envelope but make the Decay and Release a bit longer, around 170 ms so you can hear the Filter Envelope’s full shape.

Reverb: Small-medium Size, and cut out most of the Reverb’s highs so it’s just a nice warm round ambience. Full Width to help with the wide sound.

Pulse Width: Go back and keep tweaking the Pulse Width until the tone sounds right.

June 15, 2022 at 12:34 am #48320
        Participant

Hello! Thank you a lot for the advice! I tried this settings with Pigments, and after spending a decent amount of time tweaking the pulse width of the oscillators i’m still missing a “metallic” vibe that the original has. Could it be something else?

And yes, great track. Both Breakbot and Oliver are some of my favourite artists.

June 24, 2022 at 8:43 am #48413
          Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
          Keymaster

It could also be a very short reverb. I find sometimes when a synth clangs around in a short reverb it creates a metallic timbre.

June 27, 2022 at 1:32 pm #48449
            Participant

Thank you! I will try that!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Topic Tags