• February 9, 2021 at 1:10 am #40705
    Bruce GeddesBruce Geddes
    Participant

Loving Syntorial !! – not very far through yet, though it is the most robust piece of learning I have come across in the musical world. Very sound. Its content is becoming instinctive vs explicit knowledge – exactly what is needed. Massive thanks to the developer(s).

In part to help me really transfer what I am learning in Syntorial to other full scale commercial synths, I am mapping syntorial’s functions to these other synths and am doing so
      HERE. So far matching it to DIVA and UVI Falcon 2. Plan on adding in OMNISPHERE and VITAL next once i have completed these first two.

Hopefully this will help some people to more quickly transfer what they are learning in Syntorial to other Synths they own. I know the additional lesson packs will serve a better purpose here, but I don’t have the synths they cover yet, and I expect a few other people have Omnisphere and Diva at the very least. It is in a google doc for now, as it is super easy to make in there, but might get it into a PDF as it finishes so others can access that don’t have a google account (though they are free!).

The google doc is of course a collaborative document, so if anyone wanted to help or do this mapping for other synths then the framework (rows of syntorial) functions is largely set up hence easy to join in the fun – just message me and I will add you to have editorial acccess also

• This topic was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Joe Hanley. Reason: Made spreadsheet link open a new tab
      February 9, 2021 at 11:14 am #40708
      Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
      Keymaster

Very cool idea! Thanks for getting this started. If you’d like, I’d be happy to give this more attention via social media, etc. I think other Syntorians might be interested in helping out.

February 10, 2021 at 4:46 am #40720
        Bruce GeddesBruce Geddes
        Participant

Oh wow Joe – thanks. That would be great. Since I wrote that post I added in Omnisphere’s equivalent functionality and it took some manipulating to get it to work – but a really useful exercise as I now know how! It is interesting how something like Diva automatically has a filter modulating the gain via an ADSR envelope where as for both Falcon and Omnisphere it has to be set up in the first place, and Omnisphere actually has something called Filter Envelope that simply didn’t do what i was expecting. Anyway, would be great if it could be of use to others and if they wanted to join in as well then that would be awesome.

February 10, 2021 at 9:42 am #40725
          Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
          Keymaster

It’s a fun process IMHO. The differences in configurations are interesting to work out, and I find going through the process has helped solidify my understanding of synthesis even deeper.

I’ve pinned this topic to the top, and I’ll start to get the word out!

February 10, 2021 at 9:20 pm #40737
            Bruce GeddesBruce Geddes
            Participant

Just bought Pigments, and have now added in the guide as well. It is very well designed and doesn’t really need a guide so was easier to do – plus I am now much quicker at finding all these functions!

2 users thanked author for this post.
              February 11, 2021 at 11:15 am #40753
              Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
              Keymaster

Excellent!

February 16, 2021 at 9:57 am #40840
                Jonathan EppeleJonathan Eppele
                Participant

Added in a guide for GMS. Free subtractive synth VST on one of the most popular DAWs, FL Studio.

2 users thanked author for this post.
                  February 17, 2021 at 4:58 pm #40867
                  John Nardinejohnhnardine
                  Participant

Hi all,
                    Great initiative and great idea! What I would love to see someone do, and this includes Joe Hanley as he develops more tutorials inside the app, is to begin including the growing number of really excellent iOS synths. I personally am still struggling to stay committed to syntorial, so it won’t be me. Obviously some iOS synths emulate existing hardware: Moog Model D, for example. But there are many excellent iOS synths (according to the opinions of influencers in the iOS music sphere) that I personally would love to see how my limited syntorial ‘ear’ applies to. Thanks!

February 17, 2021 at 10:53 pm #40873
                    Graham SpiceGraham Spice
                    Participant

I agree that this is a fun way to see the comparisons between Syntorial learning and other synths. I’d be willing to add information for Ableton Live’s native synth called Analog if that’d be of interest.

Thanks for sharing this, @BRUCEGEDDES

1 user thanked author for this post.
                      February 18, 2021 at 3:37 am #40879
                      Bruce GeddesBruce Geddes
                      Participant

Awesome Graham, just ask for access on the google doc and I will then get an email with your details so you can join the fun. Been out the loop for a little with work, but starting to chip away at it. Big thanks to Jonathan who has completed GMS fully, tidied up the flow and is now starting with Phaseplant, that I love.

February 18, 2021 at 12:26 pm #40892
                        Paul HughesPaul Hughes
                        Participant

Can someone please do Sequential Circuits Prophet Rev2?!? 🤓👍

Pretty please? 😀

February 18, 2021 at 2:27 pm #40896
                          Jonathan McAreaveyjonathanmcareavey
                          Participant

Great idea, very excited to see the Vital one in particular ! Best of luck

February 20, 2021 at 6:14 pm #40946
                            Jonathan EppeleJonathan Eppele
                            Participant

Finished Phase Plant.

The Rev2 will be hard to get my hands on, since the nearest store that sells it is 3 hours away from me. Additionally, it is quite pricey to buy. I wonder if they’d be willing to rent.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                              March 2, 2021 at 2:04 pm #41114
                              Sean BreidenthalSean Breidenthal
                              Participant

Hello, I would happily donate to a patreon to get Alchemy from Logic Pro X included. I assume Alchemy would be the synth from Logic chosen.

March 19, 2021 at 8:31 am #41466
                                Dakota St LaurentDakota St Laurent
                                Participant

I wouldn’t mind trying to do this for the Korg Minilogue – I recently purchased one.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.