• March 1, 2019 at 11:56 am #24261
    David JonesDavid Jones
    Participant

Hello, I’m new to Syntorial and have been slowly working my way through the tutorials (about a 1/4 way through). I’m interested to try and synthesize the tinitus that I’m hearing in my head and am posting here today for some advice. What I’m hearing in my head is a mix of a high pitch hissing sound combined with the sound of a Cicada. Any ideas’s? Thanks in advance.

March 4, 2019 at 7:13 am #24296
      Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
      Keymaster

Hi David

That’s tough to do without crawling inside your head and hearing what you’re hearing.

However, on https://www.soundrelief.com/tinnitus/sounds-tinnitus/, there are several clips emulating the different types of tinnitus. Which one (or ones) are the most similar to what you’re hearing?

March 4, 2019 at 11:13 am #24299
        David JonesDavid Jones
        Participant

Hi Joe,

Thank you for your reply. I listened to some of the samples on the web site you suggested. Definitely the tone you hear in “Tinnitus Sound 3: Tea Kettle” over top of sample “Tinnitus Sound 4: Buzzing or Cicada”.

I’ve been experimenting using the Standalone Synth in Syntorial (awesome tutorial by the way) but I haven’t progressed far enough yet to figure out how to synthesize the tinnitus I’m hearing in my head.

Any ideas to get me in the general area would be a big help. I figure it would be a good exercise for me to work on and to learn more about synthesis in general.

Thanks again, Dave

March 5, 2019 at 10:50 am #24312
          Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
          Keymaster

The Tea Kettle tinnitus is pretty simple: Combine a square wave and some white noise. Then play a really high pitch (I found a very high D was pretty close).

The Cicada tinnitus can be achieved with just white noise. But it requires a little more processing. I’d try putting on a Band Pass with a very high Cutoff and a maxed Resonance. This will make the noise sharper and higher. Then add on a Chorus effect with about 50% wetness, and a pretty fast rate. That will garble it and move it around.

Post what you come up with!

March 5, 2019 at 12:41 pm #24319
            David JonesDavid Jones
            Participant

Thanks Joe for the reply. I’ll start experimenting today. Cheers, Dave

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Topic Tags