• February 15, 2019 at 11:22 am #24043
    Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
    Keymaster

Behold! A new video series. There are so many synths out there, all sharing a similar set of core features, which makes it so tough to pick. Enter Synth Spotlight, where I take one synth at a time, and discuss what makes it interesting/special/unique.

First up: Spire. We’ll be covering:

• Wavetable integration
      • HardFM
      • Super Saw unison
      • Analog/Digital/Hybrid Filters
      • Shaper Filter
      • Roland-style Chorus
      • X-Comp
      • EQ Character
      • Envelope Slope Time/Level
      • LFO Waveform Morphing
      • Weird LFO shapes
      • Stepper

Any questions? Lucky for you you’re in a forum.

February 15, 2019 at 5:38 pm #24060
      Stephen Ramsaystephenramsay
      Participant

Joe, this is so, so completely awesome. What a great job.

What I love about this, is that you’re not doing a tedious walk through of every feature — it’s more like “What is cool, weird, new, awesome, non-obvious about this synth,” and I hope you keep the format like that. It’s so useful. Those oscillators are really kind of different, so let’s talk about that. The chorus isn’t really different in terms of how it works, it just happens to be really great sounding.

I had never really paid attention to this one for some reason (I’m not sure why), but some of these things are really cool (that x-comp is nuts).

So, people who are impressed can go buy it. People who have no idea what you’re talking about can go buy Syntorial! That’s what I did years ago, and it was life changing. It just seems like a great thing all around, and I hope you make more!

February 15, 2019 at 9:51 pm #24063
        Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
        Keymaster

It just seems like a great thing all around, and I hope you make more!

I plan on it. I just have to pick the next synth…

February 16, 2019 at 2:55 am #24066
          Shaun LittleShaun Little
          Participant

This was really cool. I’ve had Spire for a few months and I learned a some new and interesting facts/tips. Looking forward to more of the spotlight stuff in the future!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.