• December 31, 2021 at 5:02 am #46321
    Marcin BMarcin B
    Participant

Hello, sound I’m looking for starts at ~0:13

I’m not even sure if it’s not sample, but I want to recreate something similar in Serum. It’s a single stab

I’ve tried using envelope or LFO on wavetable positions, especially vowel ones. I’ve also tried playing with pitch but it gets me nowhere.

I’d be really grateful for any hints in which direction to go, I’m sure I will catch up on it

January 7, 2022 at 10:45 am #46517
      Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
      Keymaster

Are you referring to that high pitch sound that almost sounds like a baby crying?

January 7, 2022 at 12:41 pm #46523
        Marcin BMarcin B
        Participant

Yes, I think we’re talking about the same thing.
          This sound doesn’t occur during the verse and it starts again at ~1:17

I’ve attached the cut so we’re on the same page

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Marcin B.
          Attachments:
          January 12, 2022 at 12:14 pm #46658
          Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
          Keymaster

To me that sounds like a vocal sample that’s pitch-shifted up, giving it that synthetic sound. But you can probably get really close with a synth:

Oscillator: A Pulse wave set to a medium-ish Pulse Width will work. But if you’re using a wavetable synth, there may be vocal-style wavetable that may give you a closer sound. We’ll be modulating the Pulse Width or Wavetable Position below, so don’t spend too much time on those settings yet.

Noise: Layer in some high-pitched and thin noise here. If you have the option of a metallic-style noise, that may get you closer.

Amp Envelope: Quick Attack, but noticeable enough that you hear the note swell in. If you can change the curve of the Attack stage, make it exponential (curved, not straight). This will make the swell kind of “rush” in.

Filter: Lowpass with a 6 or 12 dB slope. Bring it down enough to take some edge off, but still leave it pretty bright. Then give it a decent amount of Res, which will help bring out the vocal quality in the sound (you may not need Res if you’re not using a Pulse Wave).

Waveform Modulation: Route the Amp Envelope, or another envelope with the same shape, to the Oscillator’s Pulse Width or Wavetable Position. To really bring out a vocal quality in a waveform you have to modulate it. Play around with the Pulse Width or Wavetable Position and the Envelope Amount

Voices: Mono, with a decent amount of portamento. Then enable Legato and play the two notes connected. This will allow the first note to swell in, while the second note doesn’t.

Delay: 16th note Time, short Feedback, modest Wetness. You just want to hear a few echos after the note

Reverb: Big Size, but only a little wet. We want the sound to be nice and up-front.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.