• November 18, 2019 at 4:14 pm #30996
    James WhiteJames White
    Participant

Hi guys, loving the idea of this forum and how active it seems to be.
      Representing the more obscure side of UK dance music with this one…

Been trying for a while now to recreate this type of bass. I know that Flava D (and UK bass music in general) heavily relies on low pass filtered FM with layered sine sub bass, but whatever I make while experimenting just never seems to sound quite as throaty as this. It is particularly noticeable at 0:58-59, almost like a snarl.

(another example of a similar sound here but cluttered with vocals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-dv7uhovW)

Would be hugely grateful if anyone could point me in the direction of something even slightly similar to this bass texture. 🙂

Also cheers to Joe, I started with synthesis at the end of June and I’ve absolutely turbocharged my progress using this software. It is brilliant!

November 25, 2019 at 2:14 pm #31088
      Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
      Keymaster

Try starting with this:

Oscillator: FM between two sine waves. Set the modulating oscillator up two octaves (or as an FM synth would say, give it a 3:1 ratio). Dial-in a decent amount of FM. This FM amount will need to be tweaked carefully, but if you get it just right you’ll match the tone.

Sub Osc: Plain Sine wave at the same octave as the Carrier oscillator.

Amp Envelope: Quick attack around 100 ms, Sustain at 0, and Quick Decay at around 250 ms. This will give you that quick swelly note.

Filter: Low pass 24 dB, Cutoff around mid-way. Lots of Drive if available. This will help make it a bit more aggressive.

Filter Envelope: use the same shape as the amp envelope to modulate the filter. Not much amount, just enough to make it kind-of “wah”.

November 25, 2019 at 4:40 pm #31090
        James WhiteJames White
        Participant

Joe, thank you so much for your time with this! Keep up the great work.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.