• November 7, 2018 at 12:39 pm #21469
    markypencilmarkypencil
    Participant

I would love to know how to make the synth that shows from the feet beginning of the song. I would also love to know how to shift the envelopes to evolve the sound as well!! Would love your help guys!!

January 8, 2019 at 8:19 pm #22990
      markypencilmarkypencil
      Participant

I use massive,sylenth, and preferrably serum if you guys can help! much love!!

January 14, 2019 at 2:57 pm #23163
        Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
        Keymaster

Try starting with this:

• Osc 1: Saw wave. Unison, at least 3 voices, no Width, and Detuned enough to smear the tone without making it sound pitchy
          • Sub Osc: Saw wave. 1 octave below.
          • Amp Envelope: Medium Release around 500 ms to give the sound a small tail. Set the Sustain just below Max, and a quick Decay around 180 ms, to subtly emphasize the attack transient (which we’ll be creating with the Filter Envelope)
          • Filter: Low Pass, 24 dB. Decent amount of Resonance. Lots of Drive to really saturate the tone. Cutoff down pretty far, about 150 Hz, to prepare for the…
          • Filter Envelope: 0 Sustain with Decay and Release around 340 ms. Then increase the mod amount until the attack transient (the “pluck”) sounds like it does in the recording. To mimic how the pluck gets brighter as the song progresses, just slowly increase the Cutoff via a mod wheel, automation, etc
          • Reverb: Big hall, full width, but only about 15% wet. We want the sound very up-front with the giant reverberation pushed back behind it
          January 26, 2019 at 11:38 pm #23527
          markypencilmarkypencil
          Participant

Hello Joe,

I really appreciate the instructions. I tried to experiment with what you said but I still couldn’t get that plucky sound. I tried to use modulate with the numbers you gave me but its just not hitting it right. I tried to attach my file so if you can review it but i guess it doesn’t allow fxp. And anyone else who would like to help out, that would be appreciated. Perhaps this would be an amazing video tutorial if you can Joe! Thanks!!

January 28, 2019 at 7:21 am #23541
            Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
            Keymaster

I tried to attach my file so if you can review it but i guess it doesn’t allow fxp.

I’d be happy to take a look. Please zip the file first and then it will let you attach it.

January 28, 2019 at 4:53 pm #23558
              markypencilmarkypencil
              Participant

Thanks Joe! Here it is!

Attachments:
                January 29, 2019 at 7:40 am #23569
                Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
                Keymaster

Try changing the following:

1. Enable the Sub filter (turn on the S button in the Filter section), because right now your Sub saw is not part of the filter pluck motion. Also, turn the Sub volume way down as it’s dominating the higher oscillator.

2. Turn Osc A Detune down so it’s not so pitchy, but instead just nice and smeared. Also set the Unison width (in the Global panel) to 0 so the pluck is centered

3. Set the Filter Envelope attack stage to 0. We don’t want any swelling up.

4. Turn off filter Key Tracking and turn down the Filter Envelope amount (to about 33) as it’s starting too high. (If you want Key Tracking on, which you only really need if you plan on playing the pluck over a several octave range, you’ll have to turn the Cutoff down to accommodate.) Turn up the Res, and turn down the filter Level (click the “Mix” label to switch to Level) to stop maxing the output.

5. Make the reverb wetter.

6. And last, see the section from my original post about the Amp Envelope.

January 30, 2019 at 4:02 am #23591
                  markypencilmarkypencil
                  Participant

Thanks so much Joe! I got as far as the attachment that can be heard below, which is good but not as good as I want it to be! I’m not too sure why I would have to turn down the filter mix level to switch to level. Once I turn down the filter level, it takes away the round sound and makes it sawy. Also, I’m curious about using LFO. I’m not sure if they are playing each chord repetitively or using LFO to modulate every 1/4. I also want to make the sound more pinchy and clean. Thanks so so much for your help! I’m glad you are providing tips instead of just giving me all the answers! You are the best!

Attachments:
                    January 30, 2019 at 7:22 am #23613
                    Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
                    Keymaster

Much better! Nice work.

I’m not too sure why I would have to turn down the filter mix level to switch to level. Once I turn down the filter level, it takes away the round sound and makes it sawy.

You have to click the actual “Mix” label so that it switches to “Level”. Then the knob becomes a simple volume knob. But I see you just turned down the Master volume, which in this case, has the same end result.

I also want to make the sound more pinchy and clean.

Drag the Filter Envelope Decay curve down. It’s the little clear dot that sits on the Decay line. This will tighten it up. Also, shorten the Release so that it’s the same time as the Decay.

I’m not sure if they are playing each chord repetitively or using LFO to modulate every 1/4.

I don’t think so. It’s not actually constant 1/4, the rhythm varies. Though you could use a combination of playing and LFO to get this. But I find the simplest approach is to just play it.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Topic Tags