• January 23, 2022 at 1:45 pm #46877
    Synth TalkSynthTalk
    Participant

Question regarding Unisons, if anyone can assist. Here’s what I don’t quite understand:

When Unison Voices is on 2, why is it that the sound is the same regardless of (a) I only have Osc 1 on and (b) when I have both Osc 1 and Osc 2 on?

Shouldn’t having both Osc 1 and Osc 2 on sound like 4 voices (since Unison has 2 voices, multiplied by 2 Oscs?)

Ditto for when Unison Voices is on 4. The sound is the same whether I have one or both oscillators on.

What am I missing about “voices”?

January 26, 2022 at 5:03 pm #46922
      Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
      Keymaster

If Osc 1 and Osc 2 are both set to Saw with their Fine and Semi knob set to 0 then they are identical. Moving the Mix knob to a setting between them won’t change the sound, regardless of whether you’ve enabled Unison or not.

Each Unison voice is copy of all 3 oscillators. The oscillators within each unison voice are all equally detuned away from the oscillators in the other unison voice. Therefore the oscillators within each voice still maintain their original inner relationship to each other. So if Osc 1 and Osc 2 are identical (and the Mix knob has no effect on sound), that fact will remain when Unison is enabled.

January 26, 2022 at 5:25 pm #46925
        Synth TalkSynthTalk
        Participant

Thanks Joe!

Sorry, but can you elaborate on what a “voice” is? I’m not sure what you mean when you say “oscillator within each unison voice.”

Shouldn’t the sound at least be louder because the unison is copying each oscillator?

January 26, 2022 at 5:58 pm #46929
          Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
          Keymaster

“Voice” is used in a couple different ways in synthesis, which can make it a little confusing. In Unison’s case, a Voice represents a set of oscillators. So in Primer’s case, Unison set to 2 voices, will have two complete sets of 1/2/Sub Oscillators. If you set it to 4 voices, it will have four sets of 1/2/Sub Oscillators.

Yes it would be louder, but Primer compensates for this by bringing each Unison voice’s volume down. Some synths may or may not do this.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Topic Tags