• April 23, 2020 at 8:21 am #34676
    Jason Drewjasondrew
    Participant

I love the pitchy videogame-like sound of this bass by Flying Lotus.

It comes in at about 1:09 with the main groove:

As always, I really appreciate the help!

April 29, 2020 at 8:10 am #34890
      Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
      Keymaster

This one is interesting because it’s both videogame-lo-fi and fat at the same time. Try this:

Oscillator: Sine wave

Distortion: Overdrive-style. Something warm, and tube-like. Turn it up until the sine wave starts to sound like a warm and kind-of-dirty square.

Voices: Poly. Usually, a bass would be mono. But occasionally it sounds like the patch distorts a bit, which I think is happening because the bass is played in an intentionally sloppy manner, allowing occasional notes to overlap, which then overdrives the distortion.

Portamento: The pitch is kind of bendy, which I think is coming from portamento. You’ll need a synth that allows for portamento in poly mode. Sylenth1 and Serum come to mind. Just a bit of portamento, so you sort-of hear it once in a while.

The only thing missing from the above is something to make it sound lo-fi. Maybe a vinyl or tape-style plug-in? The whole track has that lo-fi vibe so maybe he’s running the whole thing through something like that.

May 16, 2020 at 8:58 am #35184
        Jason Drewjasondrew
        Participant

Thanks a lot Joe! Your explanation are really simple and this forum is super helpful.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.