January 17, 2019 at 4:50 pm #23320Bob MilliganParticipant
Starting at 2:03
This is such an amazing outro, and I was wondering if you could say explain the patch for that flute/bell/whistle/synth stab melody.
Thanks and the YouTube channel is super helpful as well, you should upload more if you can.January 18, 2019 at 10:18 am #23325Joe HanleyKeymaster
Try starting with this:
January 18, 2019 at 5:30 pm #23340DislokmeParticipant
- Oscillator: Medium Pulse wave. 3 voice Unison, with enough Detune to smear the sound without making it pitchy. If your synth allows you to adjust the balance of the unison voice volumes, set it to so the center voice is louder than the outer so that the smear is layered in
- Amp Envelope: A little Attack so that the volume does a quick fade in on each note. And a short Release so that there’s just a little tail
- Distortion: You’ll have to experiment with Distortion types, but a “mathematical” waveshaper would be better than a tube-style, as they’ll get you closer to the harsh tone of this sound. For example the Sin Fold distortion in Serum. You probably won’t need much drive as these waveshapers can be heavy-handed
- Filter: It’s important that this Filter comes AFTER the Distortion, since part of the nasty tone the distortion gives is due to how it interacts with the highs of the waveform coming into it. Band pass, around 1500 Hz. Set Key Tracking so that the higher notes get brighter and the lower notes get darker (you may have to do some back-and-forth with cutoff and Key Tracking to get this just right)
- Delay: 16th note, with low enough Feedback that there’s only one echo, and 50% mix so that the echo is as loud as the dry sound. This will give you that really noticeable slapback
- Reverb. Big. Just a little wet
interesting i thought its a flute instrument recorded but i’ll retreat them sometime.
I have some sounds i really love but i couldn’t recreate them. i’ll ask you one day.
Its okJanuary 20, 2019 at 11:08 am #23363January 21, 2019 at 7:13 am #23374Joe HanleyKeymaster
Sorry what do you mean by ‘Medium Pulse Wave”?
Pulse waves allow you to set their pulse width. Full width is a square wave, and then as you get thinner, so does the sound. So a “medium” pulse wave would be roughly half-way to completely thinned out. In Serum, there’s a wavetable called Basic Shapes, and in it there are 3 consecutive pulse waves, each one getting thinner. You could try the middle one.
Also how do you set key tracking in Serum?
The “Note” section is your key tracking source, so you can drag that to whatever destination you need key tracked. In this case, you could set the Distortion’s filter section to “Post” and then drag the Note source to the cutoff, marked as “F” in the Distortion’s filter section
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.