• July 12, 2019 at 8:54 am #28196
    Jannick Colebundersjannickcolebunders
    Participant

Hi!

I’m desperately trying to figure out the wobble bass sound in the chorus/drop of the song ‘someone’ by BAYNK (starting from 0:39 on YT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzGcRT2sGu8 ). I tried looking for a preset but so far I haven’t been able to find anything close to the sound. Maybe it’s a sample on top of the bass? I honestly have got no clue but it sounds bloody dope!

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Cheers!!

Attachments:
      July 23, 2019 at 8:10 am #28327
      Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
      Keymaster

I love this bass. Try this:

Oscillator 1: Square wave. 2 voice Unison with a mild amount of Detune to smear the tone. No Width on the Unison.

Oscillator 2: White Noise

Oscillator 3: Sine wave. Set this up to bypass the Filter and Effects. If your synth doesn’t have that option, then use a second synth.

Filter: Low Pass, 24 dB. Low Cutoff to create the round bottom-heavy bass tone. Decent amount Resonance. To be modulated by…

Filter Envelope: This will create the whipping wobble sound. Zero Sustain, with a really quick Attack (60-70 ms) and pretty quick Decay (360 ms). Give it a generous amount. Then, you’ll have to tweak the White Noise volume, Filter Cutoff, Filter Resonance, and Filter Envelope settings to get the whip just right.

Second Filter or EQ: This should process the Square and Noise oscillators only. Use a Highpass to remove everything below 120 Hz. Why? Since the Square wave has unison, it’s bottom end will be unstable. Sometimes it will be heavy, sometimes light, which is no good for a bass. So we remove it altogether here, and allow the Sine oscillator to maintain a steady low end

Compressor: I set the Threshold to apply about 6 dB of compression and left the other settings as is. But you can tweak to your liking

November 2, 2019 at 5:34 am #30817
        Jannick Colebundersjannickcolebunders
        Participant

Wow thank you very much. It isn’t that of a difficult sound as I thought before, but it sounds so awesome!

March 27, 2020 at 1:18 pm #33754
          Chris TurnbaughChris Turnbaugh
          Participant

That’s an awesome sound! Is there a certain synth/plugin you would recommend that would have the routing options you mention? My Minilogue and my go-to soft synths don’t allow for multiple signal paths like that.

March 27, 2020 at 7:30 pm #33770
            Riley TaylorRiley Taylor
            Participant

BAYNK is a friend of mine and I told him about this thread and he wanted to share the preset with you guys. I’ll attach a screenshot of him describing his process and the actual ableton session with plugins.

Here’s a download link to the preset ( https://www.dropbox.com/s/yeg3tn3l53rd336/Someone%20Bass.nmsv?dl=0 )

Toodaloo <3

Attachments:
              March 28, 2020 at 4:44 am #33778
              Sebastian KoziaraSebastian Koziara
              Participant

Great job!

March 28, 2020 at 8:52 am #33784
                Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
                Keymaster

BAYNK is a friend of mine and I told him about this thread and he wanted to share the preset with you guys. I’ll attach a screenshot of him describing his process and the actual ableton session with plugins.

Awesome! Thanks to you and BAYNK for sharing this!

After looking through the Massive preset, among other differences, it appears the oscillator section takes a different approach:

Osc 1: A wavetable with a kind of resonant square vibe, that takes on a sub-bass role, mixed with a…

Osc 2: A phase-modulated (aka FM) saw wave. This creates a nice gritty metallic tone.

What I find interesting as well is what he’s doing after Massive (separating into a low and high bass, sidechaining from the click track, sausage fattener, etc). All those finishing touches make the sound really come alive.

March 30, 2020 at 9:55 am #33819
                  Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
                  Keymaster

Is there a certain synth/plugin you would recommend that would have the routing options you mention? My Minilogue and my go-to soft synths don’t allow for multiple signal paths like that.

Serum comes to mind. The sub osc has a bypass feature.

March 30, 2020 at 1:18 pm #33835
                    Chris TurnbaughChris Turnbaugh
                    Participant

Sweet! I’ll check that out. Looks like it’s rent-to-own on Splice. Thanks! 🤘

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Topic Tags