• December 22, 2019 at 10:12 pm #31639
    Eric JungeEric Junge
    Participant

I’ve been tinkering around with recreating these classic synth patches and didn’t see anything in the past forum posts.

The 80’s Brass and Kalimba patches on my keyboards sound similar but a little off so I was thinking of programming it from scratch and wondered if anyone had done that yet here on this forum. I assume it’s easy for most experts to create this patch or something close.

Been enjoying the Syntorial synth/lessons and learning a lot. Thanks!

December 27, 2019 at 10:20 am #31718
      Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
      Keymaster

A classic.

Kalimba

Synth: Primer

Oscillators: Set both Osc 1 and 2 to Sine.

Mod Envelope: FM is going to give us that kalimba-style tone, so set destination to FM, and set a quick Decay, around 550 ms. Then set Amount to about Noon. Then turn up Oscillator 2’s Semi knob until you get the bell-like tone you’re looking for. I liked it around 28.

Amp Envelope: Sustain to zero, and a quick Decay and Release, around 400 ms.

Reverb: decent amount of size (around Noon), and a light wetness (around 9:00)

Brass

Check out this video, starting at around 2:58:

December 27, 2019 at 2:21 pm #31723
        Eric JungeEric Junge
        Participant

Joe, thanks for the patch recommendations! The diagram for the “Brass” in the video is a little tough to read but I’ll give it a go. 🙂

It kind of looks like the LFO is being routed through the filter as a saw wave but I can’t tell the rate or amount.

Thanks again!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.