• May 27, 2020 at 9:36 pm #35377
    Joshua Teklejoshuatekle
    Participant

Need help figuring out how to remake the synth sound during first 10 seconds of this song. Any help would be great. Thanks.

June 5, 2020 at 8:56 am #35548
      Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
      Keymaster

I’m hearing four different synth sounds in the first 10 seconds. Which one are you referring to?

June 5, 2020 at 1:54 pm #35561
        Joshua Teklejoshuatekle
        Participant

Sorry. It should be the lead or the most present sound carrying the melody. Not the bass sound or the sounds playing the chords. It repeats only for the chorus sections throughout the song.

June 10, 2020 at 10:05 am #35659
          Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
          Keymaster

I have to admit there is one element in this patch that’s got me stumped. We’ll get to that last. Try starting with:

Oscillator: Pulse Wave, medium Pulse Width. 6 voice Unison, full width, with enough Detune for a strong smearing sound. Then apply Oscillator Sync from another oscillator, and raise this slave’s pitch until you start to get a matching tone. Then, double the oscillator pair, setting the new oscillators both an octave higher. Some synths apply sync within one oscillator (like with Serum, the master osc would be in the background). However, if the synth you’re using does not, you may have to bring in an additional synth for this extra pair.

Filter: Low Pass 24 dB. Bring the Cutoff down a bit to take some the top edge off. Modulate with…

Filter Envelope: Create a quick attack transient by setting a very fast Decay and zero Sustain.

Amp Envelope: Accentuate the attack transient by bringing the Sustain down a bit and setting the Decay to match the Filter Envelope Decay. Then boost the overall volume of the synth.

LFO: Square wave (or a custom square-ish pattern) routed to volume, with a 16th rate. Then set the Delay to 1/8th. Now, when you hold a note, it will start to stutter. This could also be done manually by automating the track’s automation, but that option would be more tedious and less synth-centric.

Portamento: Turn it up until you start to hear it between notes, but don’t let it get so high that it starts to drag the rhythm.

Delay: 1/8th note, just a little wet.

Reverb: Medium, also just a little wet.

Stumped: I’m also hearing an occasional boost in the attack transient. For example the very first note. Sometimes I think it’s a pitch-based transient. Or a big volume transient. Or a big filter transient. Or a combination of both. However, it often happens when the melody is graced. When I try making it with an envelope, it re-triggers awkwardly over the grace note and it’s following destination note. So I switch to Legato mode. However, in Legato mode, we lose the existing amp/filter transient on every note. Perhaps a synth that allows you to set legato mode individually for each envelope?…

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Topic Tags