• March 27, 2020 at 5:05 pm #33767
    Sebastian KoziaraSebastian Koziara
    Participant

Hi there! I’m trying to recreate some squary/acid lead sound from following track: Muzzy – New Age (@ ~3:40). Was wondering if you could help me with that. Thanks in advance!

April 3, 2020 at 10:24 am #33986
      Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
      Keymaster

You can achieve this with either Oscillator Sync, or Distortion, or both.

SYNC METHOD

Enable Oscillator Sync, make the slave oscillator a square wave, and set its pitch almost 3 octaves higher than the master osc (I chose 33 semi). Then modulate the slave osc pitch with an envelope. Just a quick decay with a small amount. This will create that angry “eow”. Then layer on some heavy distortion to make it meaner. And big reverb for that big epic sound.

DISTORTION

There’s a million combinations of filters and distortions that could give you a sound like this. This sound was most likely made with Massive, but you can achieve it with any synth that has a variety of nasty distortions and filters. One idea:

Two oscillators, both saw. Lower the second osc down an octave and turn it’s volume own a bit. Then run it through an angry filter or distortion and use an envelope to move its parameters to create the “eow” sound. For example, Massive’s Scream filter works well for this. You can crank the Resonance, set the cutoff and scream settings to around noon, and then modulate them with an envelope, using a quick decay like the previous patch above. This will create the “eow”. Then, also like the patch above, run it through a heavy distortion, and some big reverb.

April 4, 2020 at 7:17 am #34050
        Participant

Hi Joe! Thanks for help! I really appreciate your work and all Syntorial stuff, helps a lot with understanding synthesis.

I’ve been trying to recreate that sound with your instructions, but still for me it sounds a little bit different. It has not such aggresive energy for me.

First I tried with Syntorial synth, then with Massive as you told me, still not a Massive expert, so no luck for me here, also tried on Serum.

Do I need to use external plugins here? What kind of distortion are we talking about?

Attaching my Syntorial’s settings if you could provide more details how to get closer to mentioned patch,

Again – thanks!

Attachments:
          April 8, 2020 at 11:34 am #34175
          Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
          Keymaster

Make a short recording using the Primer patch, and post it here. Part of getting the sound is playing in a particular range, and I want to see how your patch sounds the way you play it.

April 8, 2020 at 2:54 pm #34182
            Participant

here’s a link

Primer patch

I’m preety sure that I even not using right keys here, its for sure BMaj but not any key fits there for me

April 10, 2020 at 9:56 am #34217
              Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
              Keymaster

You’ve definitely got the gist of it. Try adjusting two things:

1. Bring the mod env amount down a bit, so it doesn’t start as bright.

2. Experiment with distortion. In Primer’s case, it’s just a simple one-knob distortion, that is meant to mimic a tube distortion. But to achieve something more aggressive you could try experimenting with more abrasive distortions. Try various plug-ins, or recreate the patch in another synth that has more distortion/waveshaper varieties.

April 13, 2020 at 3:24 pm #34330
                Participant

Thanks Joe, will try to recreate it with your tips and get back here if I have luck 🙂 Cheers!

March 10, 2021 at 10:02 pm #41233
                  Julian HeisslJulian Heissl
                  Participant

You can achieve this with either Oscillator Sync, or Distortion, or both.

SYNC METHOD

Enable Oscillator Sync, make the slave oscillator a square wave,

Hey I absolutely love your tutorials, but it would be good if you could find another way of saying master/slave, because it’s a real anxiety trigger for a black person like me, and it’s always been that way. I’m pretty sure most other black people feel the same way.

March 12, 2021 at 10:36 am #41263
                    Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
                    Keymaster

Hey I absolutely love your tutorials, but it would be good if you could find another way of saying master/slave, because it’s a real anxiety trigger for a black person like me, and it’s always been that way. I’m pretty sure most other black people feel the same way.

I agree it’s insensitive. There’s actually been some debate around this in the technology community: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master/slave_(technology)#Terminology_concerns

Do you have a suggestion for alternative terminology?

April 2, 2021 at 6:10 pm #41750
                      Participant

Hi, sure. The first thing that came to my mind is leader/follower, which is also mentioned in the article. The other alternatives in the article are also great!

April 7, 2021 at 11:05 am #41827
                        Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
                        Keymaster

Thanks for the suggestion! I will keep this in mind.

April 9, 2021 at 8:12 am #41759
                          Participant

I agree it’s insensitive. There’s actually been some debate around this in the technology community: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master/slave_(technology)#Terminology_concerns

Do you have a suggestion for alternative terminology?

I thought about it again and I came up with the terms main source and synced source, what do you think? Sorry for hijacking this thread, lol! Keep up the great work! Thanks!

April 9, 2021 at 9:49 am #41887
                            Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
                            Keymaster

That might be a bit more confusing. I’m leaning harder towards leader and follower.

April 10, 2021 at 10:44 pm #41903
                              Participant

That might be a bit more confusing. I’m leaning harder towards leader and follower.

Sure. Leader and Follower is great, and I will definitely appreciate the change! Awesome!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.