August 18, 2018 at 8:37 am #17849HotLoveDramaParticipant
Maybe you guys heard the new Travis Scott album. I really like the bass patch in Sicko mode. I don’t really know where to start, or if it’s really subtractive synthesis.
The bass comes in at 1:00
Here’s the song:
August 21, 2018 at 10:07 am #18032
I hear two bass patches happening here. A growly one, and a sub bass. I’m assuming you’re referring to the growly one.
This was actually tough to get the tone right. When distortion gets involved, it’s hard to figure out exactly what waveform and what type of distortion was used. It’s a somewhat unpredictable combination. So I decided to stick with a saw wave, and then try out different distortions, eventually settling on a combination of two in Massive. Here’s my attempt:
How It’s Made
- Oscillator: Two osc, both saw, one octave apart. Play a pretty low D so that the lower oscillator is really low and growly
- Filter 1: Bandpass, with a healthy amount of resonance, and very narrow bandwidth. Cutoff at zero for the upcoming envelope…
- Filter envelope: Decent amount modulation so that the cutoff is moving from about 1:00 down to the bottom. The sound of this patch is really determined by these very specific filter settings and the following distortion…
- Distortion 1: Tele Tube in the FX1 slot. Full Wet, full Drive. This creates a nice distorted body. But to really make it nasty…
- Distortion 2: Hardclipper insert FX (either slot). Full wet, Drive at about 11:00. This makes the patch nasty. The two distortions in combo, seem to nail the tone from the song
- Filter 2: Route the filters in full Serial and set Filter to Highpass 2. Bring the cutoff up to 10:00. This just takes some bottom off it. Leaves room for the sub bass patch to take care of the low end.
For the sake of this re-creation I went through a lot of experimentation to get it just right. But, in reality, you could make a patch like this with any number of waveform and distortion combinations. You’d get a different tone but the same vibe.
You must be logged in to access attached files.August 22, 2018 at 8:41 am #18086HotLoveDramaParticipant
Awesome Joe thanks a lot, nice work!
Would be nice to see you doing these patch videos again! The hiphop community on youtube is really big and still growing. These kind of videos could put a lot of interest in syntorial too:) although most of the producers use presets for the major part but some albums, like Astroworld, really focuse on using some different sounds.August 22, 2018 at 8:44 am #18088
My pleasure! I actually plan on starting to do that again, making videos for some of these patch requests. Hopefully soon.August 24, 2018 at 1:43 pm #18174dubmethodParticipant
Hey Patchers 🙂
Just seen this and though I see the first few setting of Joe’s answer I rolled over and challenged myself. The sound remembered me to a TB303 base so I popped up one of my older patch and hammered a bit. Know it’s not perfect but hope you like it…
OSC 1 Pulse-Saw
OSC 2 Square-Saw both WT position around 1 o’clock
Filter 1 Acid High Reso
Filter 2 Bandwidth – narrow Band and high Reso
And a Brauner Tube quite strong
Any feedback can come 🙂
You must be logged in to access attached files.August 27, 2018 at 9:49 am #18321
Nice dubmethod! That filter/distortion combination sounds right, and it’s simpler than my approach. Simple is good!August 28, 2018 at 3:34 am #18392dubmethodParticipant
Thanks Joe, I’m glad you liked it guys!! :)) Simple is good! – like that…
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.