• March 9, 2021 at 9:47 am #41200
    Scott Wicksscottwicks
    Participant

Hello! I’m trying to recreate a type of classic sound in eurorack (but any successful patch formula for any synth will at least put me in the ballpark, it’s a ‘shimmering’ descending sound… here is a sample from the Space Mountain cue at Disney World, the sound is throughout, good example at 17 seconds:

This example of the sound is very saturated (almost like a solid note declining in pitch), typically there is very distinct VCA modulation with a square or triangle LFO, with what I assume to be an inverted ramp LFO that doesn’t cycle controlling the decline the VCO frequency? I feel like the base oscillator would be triangle so as to reduce the amount of harmonics, allowing the spectral space for cleaner spatial effects which I would assume to by typical for this type of patch?

Am I way off? Again, the example provided is almost like a solid tone declining in pitch; there is typically a distinct VCA oscillation as well.

March 16, 2021 at 10:34 am #41377
      Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
      Keymaster

Try this:

Oscillator: Square wave

Amp Envelope: Set the release so that each note rings out

Voices: Poly

Filter: 24 dB lowpass. Bring the cutoff down until you get the round-ish tone. Then boost the res pretty heavily to really make it stick out.

Filter Envelope: We’ll use this to create that little attack transient on the sound. Zero sustain, with a really fast decay and release, and just a little modulation amount.

Delay: Quarter note delay, pretty wet so you can clearly hear the delays

Reverb: Medium hall, fairly wet

Two things
        – Yes you could use a triangle wave instead of filtering a square wave. However, the square provides more upper harmonics for the filter envelope to use in order to make the attack transient
        – The descending pitch is most likely from playing the actual notes, as opposed to some type of pitch modulation. I say this because the chords these pitches outline change throughout the song.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.