• February 10, 2019 at 3:10 pm #23910
    Leo KellyLeo Kelly
    Participant

Hi, Any tips on getting this sound. There are 3 timbres (to my ears haha), a mellow bass, an organ kind of sound and a plucky harpsichord kind of thing in the background, and some crackly fx (like an old record playing) its the organ im after mainly, but any tips for the bass would be welcome too.
      Many thanks.

February 11, 2019 at 9:53 am #23927
      Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
      Keymaster

Try this:

1. Oscillator: Saw

2. Amp Envelope: long Release

3. Filter: Low Pass. 24 dB slope. Cutoff around 500 Hz. Crank the Res as high as you can without self-oscillation. Key Tracking all the way on/up. If you’re using Serum, turn up the Fat knob to make up for the low end that you lose due to the high Res. If not Serum, try just boosting the overall volume or boosting the low end with EQ.

4. Voices: Poly mode, but with only 2 voices. The notes are long so too much overlapping will get muddy. You can hear notes being cut off in the recording, yet 2 notes are often allowed to play at the same time.

5. Reverb: Hall. 20% wet.

And I think the Bass might be the same patch, but with a lower Cut off, and possibly lower res. But it’s really just a sub bass.

And the harpsichord, again, might be the same patch but with very different filter. Try a narrow Band Pass with a higher cutoff to make it smaller and buzzier

February 11, 2019 at 1:02 pm #23952
        Leo KellyLeo Kelly
        Participant

Wow, amazing, that’s pretty damn close! I never for a minute thought to use a saw, I thought because its so mellow it must be a square and possibly mixed with a sine wave, everything I tried has been far too edgy/harsh though, lots to learn! Many thanks.
          Loving Syntorial by the way, I think the explanation of the filter amount knob was worth the price alone haha.
          Cheers!

February 11, 2019 at 1:06 pm #23954
          Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
          Keymaster

Glad to hear you’re enjoying Syntorial!

After doing a lot of patch requests, I’ve to come realize that Saw works in so many cases. Even if the patch in question was made with a wavetable, once you filter and process it, the difference between Saw and everything else can often be pretty minimal (with the exception of square and wide pulse waves, as they have that distinct artificial hollow-ish sound)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Topic Tags