• September 6, 2018 at 5:02 pm #19723
    nofishnofish
    Participant

The lead sound in the attached snippet (sorry, I don’t remember which track it originally came from)

All I can figure it’s probably heavily pitch modulated somehow I think, but that’s about it.
      Thanks for any help.

Attachments:
      September 20, 2018 at 12:43 pm #20280
      Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
      Keymaster

I think the pitch movement is due to portamento.

The waveform choice isn’t quite right, but it’s close.

How It’s Made

• Synth: Serum
        • Oscillator: Pulse wave that’s a little thinner than square. 3-voice Unison with a mild detuning and 25% width
        • Filter: Lowpass 12, Cutof 527 Hz, a little Res, and Fat at noon to make up for the low end loss from Res. Assign Note modulation source to cutoff, with bipolar direction, and mod amount of 100. Now the higher notes will be much brighter than the lower ones.
        • Envelope: Env 2 routed to Cutoff with a really fast Decay of 144 ms, and 0 Sustain. Mod amount at 61, which initially will be way too much. However, next, add Velocity as an Aux source for Env 2, and curve the velocity curve down a bit. Now you can control the amount of bright attack transient by how hard you play. This explains why the attack transient of the lead in the recording isn’t always there
        • Portamento: 55ms, Always, Scaled. Scaling gives shorter intervals quicker glides, and wider intervals longer glides
        • Effect: Dimension. Set Size all the way down, and Mix all the way up. This gives it that 3 dimensional room feel
        • Effect: Delay. 1/4. Feedback 40%. Mix 10%. Subtle echo
        • Effect: Compressor. Thresh -30 dB, Attack 90ms, Gain 5.4 dB. Beef it up a bit and add a volume spike on the front of some notes.
        • Effect: EQ. Low shelf. Freq 210 Hz. Q 60%. Gain -13.3 dB. Take off part of the bottom end so that lower range notes aren’t so big.
        Attachments:
        September 20, 2018 at 4:29 pm #20287
        nofishnofish
        Participant

Just listened to your SC snippet, wow, that’s definitely close enough. 🙂
          You did me a big favour, had this sound so long in my head but couldn’t nail it (did a request on KVR a couple of years ago with no result lol).

Thanks so much.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.