September 12, 2018 at 10:11 pm #20030 testParticipant
So on this one there 2 pads which I would like to repro in Serum.
First one is around 30 seconds and the other one kicks in as a layer of the first one around 40 seconds. There is clearly some side-chain happening here but I would be interested in the sounds of the pads themselves.
Here is the beat : https://youtu.be/gSZ15VW4VQ8?t=25
SteveOctober 4, 2018 at 1:25 pm #20587 testKeymaster
I really like that first pad.
How It’s Made: 1st Round Patch
- Synth: Serum
- Oscillators: Osc A Sine, Osc B Saw. Both Osc have 2 voice Unison with mild 0.09 Detune. Both Osc at 40% volume
- Filter: MG Low 24, Cutoff 469 Hz, heavy Res at 82%, full Drive, bring the filter Level down to 12% to compensate for the Drive’s volume boost
- Pitch Env Modulation: Route Env 2 to both Osc A and B’s Coarse Pitch. Set the mod type to unidirectional, and both mod amounts to -6. Then set the envelope Sustain to 0, and Decay to 213 ms. This will create the upward sweeping pitch at the beginning of each new note
- Amp Env: Attack at 82 ms with a flat curve. This will soften the attack transient a bit
- Dimension: Full Mix, Size at about Noon. This gives it that basement-room vibe
- EQ: Peak, Freq 394 Hz, Gain 6.1 dB. This adds that hollow frump and makes it resonate even more
- LFO: I know the side-chaining is probably created in the usual way with compression coming from the kick track. But with Serum’s sidechain LFO shapes I can’t resist. LFO wave SC1, then modify it by dragging either endpoint to the bottom, and drag the top right point over to the left a bit to make the drop less abrupt. 1/4 Rate at 120 bpm. Route it TWICE (so two rows in the matrix) to Amp. Set the first row to full mod amount, and second row to about 35 mod amount. This is because one won’t create enough of a volume fluctuation. Both unidirectional.
How It’s Made: 2nd Bright Patch
- Synth: Serum
- Osc A Saw. 3 voice Unison with very mild 0.02 Detune, even 82 Blend, and narrow 10 Width. Both Osc at 40% volume
- Filter: MG Low 12, Cutoff 196 Hz, mild Res at 24%, full Drive, bring the filter Level down to 12% to compensate for the Drive’s volume boost
- Filter Env Modulation: Route Env 2 to filter Cutoff. Set the mod type to unidirectional, mod amount to 28. Env Attack at 118 ms with flat curve. This creates the horn-ish attack transient. Then set the Sustain to 88%, and the Decay to 478 ms. This will make each new note brighter, while the following side-chain pulses will be darker.
- Amp Env: Attack at 149 ms with a flat curve. This will soften the attack transient a bit
- Dimension: Subtle Mix at 17%, Size also at 17%. This gives it a little ambience so it’s not so dry
- Compressor: Turn it on and set the threshold to -30, and Gain to 3 dB. This just squeezes it a bit.
- LFO: same as other patch
5 chords, with the last chord played twice. Here are each chord’s notes from the top down:
- F# D B A
- A# F# D# C#
- C# A F# E
- B G E D
- G E C B
Whew! That was a long one.
You must be logged in to access attached files.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.