• April 1, 2019 at 11:11 am #25179
    Chris Thompsonchristhompson
    Participant

Hi,

I’m looking to recreate the bass synths from Justice’s debut album, particularly the songs “Let There Be Light” and “Phantom I/Phantom II.” I know that they sometimes modify preexisting samples to create their synths, but I was hoping someone would be able to construct them from scratch.

Let There Be Light

Phantom I + Phantom II

Thanks in advance!
      Chris

April 10, 2019 at 5:53 am #25330
      Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
      Keymaster

If you really want to nail this sound I would go the sampler route, instead of a synth. Start with a bass vst/sample library. And then run it through heavy distortion. The exact tone is going to vary depending upon the bass you choose, and the distortion you choose. But you’ll get the vibe right away with those two things.

For example I brought up MM-Bass in Kontakt, and then ran it through some of Logic’s built in distortions, cranked the distortion, and it was pretty much there.

Let There Be Light sounds like a regular fingered bass. Phantom sounds like a slap bass.

If you’d prefer doing it with a synth, we can get pretty close, but would have to tweak the waveform and filter to get a more string-bass vibe. Happy to help with that, but I would go the bass sampler + distortion route if you can.

April 10, 2019 at 10:58 am #25340
        Chris Thompsonchristhompson
        Participant

Hey Joe,

Thanks for taking the time to respond! I’m going to follow your lead and go with the bass sampler + distortion route and see how it goes.

Thanks again.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.