• April 1, 2020 at 8:15 am #33859
    Max KranabetterMax Kranabetter
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I hope you are all doing good! I am currently working on a track and I have this image in my head of some big chords, I just can’t get any to sound right. I’m looking for chords that sound big but in an “emotional” way. This track that I found on Spotify by Orum Palmer has just that sound that I am looking for, but I’m still a beginner when it comes to sound design so I would appreciate any help you could give me!

April 2, 2020 at 7:36 am #33904
      Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
      Keymaster

Hi Max. Post an example of what you’ve done so far. We can take a listen and discuss the differences.

April 2, 2020 at 12:37 pm #33948
        Participant

Sure, this is one of my tries, but I can’t get it sound anywhere near how the original sounds. I think I can hear a lead sound and a piano sound with the chords. I think the chords have a short attack time, but long enough to be noticeable, 76ms sounded right to me. They then have a reasonably quick decay time (I used 500ms) and then fall to a lower sustain level (about 30%). I can also hear a lot of white noise and reverb in the chords, so I added that as well. I just don’t really know where to go from here, what should I be looking out for? Processing, waveshapes, filters?

I can’t attach the fxp file, so here is a Screenshot and an Audio of me playing a chord with the serum patch

chords

Attachments:
          April 3, 2020 at 9:52 am #33978
          Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
          Keymaster

Try the following:

1. Your patch has a very square-ish vibe, which makes it kind of cold and artificial. Whereas their patch has a more orchestral string vibe, and strings provide a much warmer and emotional tone. To get that string sound check out this tut: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zz8bHNgzBw

2. Increase the reverb’s size or decay. Their patch sounds like it’s in a stadium, vs yours sounds like it’s in a club or small hall. An big reverb makes it seem more epic, and powerful.

April 3, 2020 at 10:56 am #33989
            Participant

Thanks for the reply! I’ve added some drums and a quiet bass for some reference and tried all of the things you suggested. I also added a heavily sidechained piano and some strings to support the synth. It definitely sounds better now, there is just still quite a difference. The thing is, I can’t quite tell what it is

Attachments:
              April 3, 2020 at 11:14 am #33997
              Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
              Keymaster

Much better. It’s still a little stiff and aggressive. Try this:

1. Increase the Unison Detune, and/or add some stereo chorus. Something to make it a little plusher.

2. Increase the wetness of the reverb so it’s not as up-front.

3. Layer in some noise to create that “ssshhhh” texture.

4. It’s a little bottom heavy, and could be lightened up a bit. A few things to try:
                – Play the chords an octave higher, or
                – Add an additional oscillator one octave above (or move one of the oscillators up an octave)
                – High pass some of the lows out of the sound.

April 4, 2020 at 6:07 am #34044
                Participant

Okay I’ve applied all your advice and I even asked Orum himself if he had any advice and he said that he used Serums LFO to control the phase and pan, which I also tried out. It’s still way out from how the original sounds, but this is what I have managed.

(I have added a comparison in the audio)
                  Thanks a lot for your help!

Attachments:
                  April 8, 2020 at 11:29 am #34173
                  Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
                  Keymaster

It’s close. Two differences:

1. It’s still missing some higher pitches, in the next octave up. Try messing around with step 4 from my previous post some more.

2. Bring the filter cutoff down more, and try bringing up the Drive to saturate it a bit. Overall this should make warmer and not as bright.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.