• August 21, 2020 at 11:08 am #36941
    Matthew FisherMatthew Fisher
    Participant

There’s this atmospheric melodic sound that glides up and hits right when the kick starts up again and is used as atmospheric interest throughout the track. You can hear it start around 0:59 in this link:

here’s a quick patch I made that sounds similar but way worse:

How would you go about designing this sort of sound? I feel like in the original the pitch gliding sounds very focused and leaves a nice tail, it’s less washed out and doesn’t fill up the mix unnecessarily like when I try to make it.

Any thoughts or guidance is much appreciated. Thank you!!

August 28, 2020 at 3:58 pm #37050
      Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
      Keymaster

Few things:

Is yours made with a synth? It sounds like a string sample. In any case:

Using a synth, start with saw wave. And then add low pass filter and bring the Cutoff down enough to make a little rounder, but not as bright. Your patch is brighter so the rounding will help a lot. Also, in the filter, increase the Res. This will make the sound narrower, a little more shaped.

Lastly, make it a mono patch, and turn up the portamento so that as you switch from note to note, they bend into each other. That being said, I think the very first bend is made with the pitch wheel.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.