• August 17, 2018 at 9:44 am #17643
    Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
    Keymaster

The House-style organ is a classic synth patch, that still sounds relevant today. A great example is Nico Castoldi’s “Bolantis”. The organ comes in around 1:28.

Can you recreate this patch?

August 24, 2018 at 6:16 pm #18231
      Andy BuchananAndy Buchanan
      Participant

Is this the current challenge?

August 24, 2018 at 6:22 pm #18233
        Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
        Keymaster

Yep! Though you can reply to any of the challenges at any time.

August 24, 2018 at 9:01 pm #18241
          Bill LearBill Lear
          Participant

Ballpark, perhaps, but not quite there. Seemed that sine wave was needed, one detuned from another by a fifth plus an octave, maybe. Add sub oscillator, some chorus and reverb. Just doesn’t sound the same, though. Serum patch attached.

August 24, 2018 at 10:40 pm #18248
            Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
            Keymaster

Hey Rael007. I’d love to hear your patch, but you have to zip it first before you attach it

August 25, 2018 at 10:56 am #18266
              Bill LearBill Lear
              Participant

Let’s try this again …

Attachments:
                August 27, 2018 at 9:44 am #18317
                Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
                Keymaster

Bill I like that you stacked sine waves, much like an actual organ would. I think it’s really close. I tried that as well, and like you, couldn’t get quite as close as I wanted. I feel like there isn’t enough frequency content with just the two sine waves.

So I started with a square instead, and filtered it down.

How It’s Made

1. Synth: Serum
                  2. Oscillator: Square wave, 6 voice unison with a medium detune and medium width
                  3. Filter: Low Pass 18, Cutoff at 497 Hz, pretty heavy res with full Fat, and a little drive
                  4. FX: very small Plate Reverb, at about 35% wet. And then EQ low shelf to remove just a bit of low end.
                  Attachments:
                  August 27, 2018 at 3:13 pm #18373
                  mstaicumstaicu
                  Participant

I’m still wondering why I can’t manage to reproduce this sound, given the instructions, in Ableton’s Analog synth. I rarely can recreate anything in that synthesizer, it just has its own sound. Either that or I just can’t manage to program it.

August 27, 2018 at 4:22 pm #18382
                    Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
                    Keymaster

Can you upload a recording of what you have so far? Maybe I can spot the difference

August 30, 2018 at 3:30 pm #18556
                      mstaicumstaicu
                      Participant

Here is my attempt, according to the Serum patch instructions. I must confess that I’m not sure if F major is the right chord, but according to the timber that I obtain, it should make little difference. Ableton’s Analog was used in applying the Serum patch.

You can listen to the chord here: https://www72.zippyshare.com/v/YygiM0Ge/file.html

I am well aware of the huge difference between my timber and the original one, but I would love suggestions on how to get that sound in Analog.

Thank you!

Attachments:
                        August 31, 2018 at 8:58 am #18584
                        Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
                        Keymaster

The main difference I’m hearing is in the filter. It’s too bright. In my settings I have the cutoff set to 497, but the Low Pass filter is using an 18db slope. Is there an LP18 option? The lower the slope, the brighter the sound. So if there’s isn’t an LP18 option, stick with LP12 and turn the cutoff down until it’s rounder to match the original sound. Then probably boost the res even more. That would be a good place to start.

September 6, 2018 at 3:46 pm #19695
                          dubmethoddubmethod
                          Participant

Hello Gentlemen,

I made an attempt to this though I have to tell I had to check how you start guys , i don’t know how to make an organ. The base gave me a push and used 2 sines tuned -9/+9 and a sub osc two octave lower. I used a bandpass to make it a bit dull and a highpass to with higher reso to give some character.
                            Plus the old hits Chorus, some Classic Tube distortion plus a little white noise, then attenuated the mid with some EQ. All these within Massive. I think the original has good amount of post process and EQ… Cheers.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1RyeDO8L_wcwrIZmW054nRFUJga8C7bG3

Ah yeah I used an A-minor chord no inversion.

September 6, 2018 at 3:47 pm #19697
                            dubmethoddubmethod
                            Participant

Hello Gentlemen,

I made an attempt to this though I have to tell I had to check how you start guys , i don’t know how to make an organ. The base gave me a push and used 2 sines tuned -9/+9 and a sub osc two octave lower. I used a bandpass to make it a bit dull and a highpass to with higher reso to give some character.

Plus the old hits Chorus, some Classic Tube distortion plus a little white noise, then attenuated the mid with some EQ. All these within Massive. I think the original has good amount of post process and EQ… Cheers.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1RyeDO8L_wcwrIZmW054nRFUJga8C7bG3

Ah yeah I used an A-minor chord no inversion.

I forgot there is FM MOD on OSC1 – I remembered this one from somewhere…

September 10, 2018 at 10:22 am #19901
                              dubmethoddubmethod
                              Participant

do I get 1-2 stars? 😀

September 10, 2018 at 1:07 pm #19913
                                Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
                                Keymaster

do I get 1-2 stars? 😀

Definitely 2! I think you really nailed the tone. So much so, I think the stacked sine and FM approach is probably along the lines of what the original patch actually is. Nice work.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.