• September 27, 2018 at 6:28 am #20427
    jusgoldenjusgolden
    Participant

Hey sound designers,

I really want to make my own drums or remake ones I like in songs, specifically this song.

The drums are soooo fiye if I could make bass like this all my parties will be forever lit and yall will be invited haha.

October 25, 2018 at 12:12 pm #21158
      Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
      Keymaster

This sound doesn’t require a ton of parameters, but they have to be set just right to get the proper tone and low end. Also, because the bass is kind of bright, and not a typical 808 bass (very round and subby) I think the bass and kick are two separate patches.

In this recording, you’ll hear bass+kick, then bass, then kick. And you’ll notice the kick doesn’t have a ton of low end. The bass provides so much low end, that if they both have it they’ll clash and mask each other, so we let the bass provide it.

How It’s Made

Bass

• Synth: Primer
        • Oscillators. Osc 1 Saw, Osc 2 Sine, Mix 50/50. The Saw gives us the tone, the Sine gives us the boom
        • Filter: Low Pass, 24dB, with Cutoff pretty far down (0.41). A little boost of Res to push out that low end a bit more.
        • Distortion: A bit of warm tube distortion. This will brighten it a touch, but more importantly give it a warmer, stringy vibe

Kick

• Synth: Primer
        • Oscillator: Sine
        • Pitch Envelope: Quick Decay (92 ms), and an amount that will modulate the pitch about an octave. This quick pitch drop creates the percussive kick sound. The higher the modulation amount, the more “click” on the front of the sound, because the pitch starts at a higher note, which creates a brighter beginning. We’re going for a pretty muted attack transient.
        • Amp Envelope: Sustain at 0, Decay/Release at 82 ms. This creates a short note, and cuts it off immediately after the kick-making pitch drop so that it’s only a percussive sound
        • Distortion: Warm tube, medium amount (0.5). Makes it a little more aggressive
        • Noise. Decent amount of white noise. At first, this will sound like a clap, so…
        • Filter: Lowpass, Cutoff around Noon. This will take the brightness out of the Noise, leaving us with a papery texture added into the kick so it’s less perfect, and more sample-like
        • Note: Playing a low F. The pitch matters here, since, if it’s too high, there won’t be enough low end.
        Attachments:
        October 31, 2018 at 8:40 pm #21306
        jusgoldenjusgolden
        Participant

Thank you so much Joe

November 1, 2018 at 10:48 am #21316
          jusgoldenjusgolden
          Participant

I made it using those instructions in omnisphere and I will try to add an example once I am free but for some reason it sounds out of phase when I combine the saw with the sine but it sounds good when it’s just one waveform.

Any tips? Again I will add the actual sound so you can hear for yourselves.

Thanks again.

November 1, 2018 at 12:22 pm #21325
            Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
            Keymaster

it sounds out of phase when I combine the saw with the sine but it sounds good when it’s just one waveform.

Maybe try adjusting one of the oscillator’s start-phase. But I’d like to hear it. If you can post with and without the second oscillator that would be helpful.

Omnisphere-specific info here: https://support.spectrasonics.net/manual/Omnisphere/edit_page/oscillator/page14.html

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Topic Tags