September 6, 2018 at 1:28 pm #19673
Hi there, I am having difficulty in trying to recreate the benny benassi/Alle Benassi bass.
here are some links with the different types of variations of the bass that I wish to recreate:
I have tried to recreate it but I can’t seem to make it sound as “thick” and “full” as the original one with the synths that I have. Which are: sylenth1, massive, absynth5, ableton’s analog, and reaktor5.
It is definitely a saw wave and it has reverb on it, not sure if there is distortion on it and also not sure if there is a low pass filter on it.
I have seen videos of people recreating it really well using flstudio and 3xosc like in these videos:
But I don’t know how to get it to sound the same with the synths I have.
could anybody help me?
many thanksSeptember 14, 2018 at 8:25 am #20065Joe HanleyKeymaster
After fiddling around with distortions, filters, etc I finally got what I needed out of the multiband compressor (ooooooooooh multiband). It creates that aggressive compression that really makes the saw jump out. A couple other effects, and that’s it. Not much synthesis at play here.
How It’s Made
- Synth: Serum
- Oscillator: Saw.
- Voices: Mono, with 47 ms portamento
- Distortion: Type is Downsample, with Drive at 62% to create that high nastiness making the sound just a little cheap. Mix set to 22% so it’s just subtly layered in
- Compressor: Threshold -54 dB, Ratio 4:1, Attack 16.3 ms, Release 90 ms, Gain 30 dB, Multiband enabled, High 94%, Mid 168%, Low 171%. Those settings bring the highs down, and the lows/mids up, creating a nice bassy saw. And then dial back the mix to 70% to let some of the clean unadulterated saw through
- Reverb: Type is Hall, Size is 51% to give us the feeling of a large room, but Decay is at 0.8s, so that the reverb tail doesn’t last too long and muddy up the sound. No Low or High cut. Spin at 20%, Spin Depth at 25%. Mix at 17% so that it’s mostly dry
- This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by Joe Hanley.
You must be logged in to access attached files.September 14, 2018 at 1:49 pm #20087
Hi Joe, thank you for responding. There are just a few problems, one is that I don’t have serum, and another is that I haven’t learned the technical part of music production yet (using effects, mixing and mastering) I am still learning piano and learning synthesis with syntorial.
So I am not too familiar with compression yet.
However, I have tried to recreate what you have done by using the ableton live 8 stock plugins and sylenth1, but I was not able to find an equivalent parameter to the high, mid and low percentages that you refered to from serum’s multiband compressor in ableton live’s multiband Dynamics compressor and also I am not sure what distortion type I should use from sylenth1 to get the same effect, and what parametr values I must dial in from any distortion you recommend from “if you recommend any”.
I have sent some screenshots of what I have done so far in the attachments.
Could you please explain how to get the sound with ableton live 8 and sylenth1 or any synth/effect that I own (sylenth1, fm8, massive, absynth5, guitar rig 5,supercharger compressor, rp-distort cm, ableton’s analog and operator,reaktor5 and an old version of arturia minimoog v)?
Or if I am recreating it correctly so far could you explain what I must do to finish off recreating the sound?
You must be logged in to access attached files.September 15, 2018 at 4:50 am #20128
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.