• October 2, 2021 at 9:24 pm #44894
    Nicholas JamesNicholas
    Participant

Hi everyone, I’m trying to both replicate and understand how to program a similar sequence of this classic track by Fluke.

Right at the start.

The the first few notes sound rounded, than comes the note that sticks out.

How would you replicate something like this? In Serum, or primer?

A friend of mine says, it’s a Korg MS-20, though it sounds more like a 303.

Is that an LFO attached to the cutoff, that is opening the filter like that? Or a mod matrix?

I graduated from Syntorial long ago, but when I open my eyes, I’m still only in Saigon.

October 13, 2021 at 9:35 am #45000
      Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
      Keymaster

It sounds like a sequencer to me. And along with playing the notes, the sequencer is probably also modulating the cutoff. That’s why each note seems to have a different level of brightness.

You can of course do this with MIDI and automation as well. Record or click-in the MIDI notes in your DAW, and then create abrupt automation changes at the start of each note to modulate the Cutoff.

Offhand, I’m hearing two oscillators one octave apart, a lowpass filter (that’s being modulated), and of course, distortion. Have you given it a shot yet?

October 16, 2021 at 5:00 pm #45022
        Nicholas JamesNicholas
        Participant

Thanks Joe. You were spot on. The key is distortion, and cutoff modulation.

I’ll have to give you back my syntorial completion certificate.

October 18, 2021 at 9:04 am #45039
          Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
          Keymaster

I’ll have to give you back my syntorial completion certificate.

Ha! Even I get stumped from time to time and have to experiment my way through. Keep at it!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.