• June 12, 2019 at 11:57 am #26675
    Szymon Krzemińskikrzemian
    Participant

Hey Joe and all

I was a little hesitant about posting it here, but since it’s the only place where Joe could see if there’s more people looking forward to this feature, I’ve taken “And of course, feel free to to just discuss sound design in general.” to the extreme and decided to go on 🙂

I’ve recently discovered Syntorial and Audible Genius and I’m stoked about both (especially the former).
      With that in mind, it’d be great to be able to speed up the videos (and perhaps do so with keyboard shortcuts). In my case, it would greatly improve the learning process as this is my usual flow whenever I’m learning anything from videos.

A workaround for this would be to enable access to raw video files for playback in an external video player.

What do you think?

Once again, thanks for the awesome software, Joe!

Best regards
      Simon

June 13, 2019 at 6:37 am #26683
      Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
      Keymaster

Hi Simon

Great suggestion.

Audible Genius: Feature is already there. We use the Vimeo player which does an excellent job of speeding up the video.

Syntorial: We actually were working on it for a bit. Unfortunately Apple’s speed algorithm turned out to do some really strange things to the synth audio when sped up. In some cases, the patch being played in the video sounded significantly different from the actual patch itself, and since Syntorial is all about ear training, we have to maintain accuracy. So we have to either wait until Apple improves it, or separate and speed up the audio separate from the video with 3rd party DSP, while keeping both in sync, which is a bit of an undertaking. Not saying we won’t do this, but it probably won’t happen anytime soon.

June 13, 2019 at 11:39 am #26695
        Szymon Krzemińskikrzemian
        Participant

Hey Joe

Thank you for a prompt reply. It hasn’t occurred to me that playback speed may interfere with patch accuracy. With that in mind, I’d still just simply revert to 1x whenever patch is played, so that wouldn’t be much of an issue. The most important in my case would be to manually speed up the explanatory parts that seem easy to me.
          As a workaround, would you consider releasing bare video files to users (either free or premium)? Or does it pose some possible IP risks?

Kind regards
          Szymon

June 14, 2019 at 9:25 am #26705
          Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
          Keymaster

Send us an email and I’ll see what I can do.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Topic Tags