• August 1, 2018 at 2:09 pm #17328
    Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
    Keymaster

Show us the fattest bass patch you can muster!

Here’s my attempt. I based this off a patch request I came across for the bass from Reality Check by Noname. It’s a great example of an analog-style bass. Made with Monark. Demo below, and patch attached.

The process

• Oscillator: Saw wave
      • Filter: Low pass with the cutoff turned pretty far down and the drive maxed out. Key tracking to make higher notes brighter for fills
      • Modulation: Subtle filter envelope decay. Subtle amp release.
      • Misc: Portamento to give connected notes a little swagger

Show me what you got!!

Attachments:
      August 18, 2018 at 5:52 pm #17899
      HexspaHexspa
      Participant

I heard there was a synth-off goin’ down. Howdy, Joe! Howdy, fellow Syntorians! Wanna hear ye some Big Fat Bass?

This is a patch I made while ripping off “Dark Horse” by Katy Perry. Y’see, I don’t like me no copyright strikes so I keep to myself. I’ll look over at what you’re doin’, and I might copy a little, but this is my work, ya’hear? Ain’t no darn samplin’ goin’ on ’round these parts.

I just threw a saw-square blend, pitched it way down yonder and gave it some spice. You wanna know my secret recipe? Filter modulation. Don’t tell your mother I told you. I just put a little bit – not too much – to give the low end some shake. That’ll get ’em hollerin’!

Now you can’t just have meat and pepper, as you’ll know from eatin’ your Uncle’s chili. Ya need somethin’ to fill out them britches. That’s what ol’ Brauner’s tubes will do ya fer. Fatten up your lower mids like nothin else can. Finally, ya just toss that rusty saw an octave up and you’ll be toppin’ charts like denim tops the wagon.

Here’s the tune of mine it comes from: https://youtu.be/7JDOSW_YGoI?t=1m3s No fiddle in this one, Cowboy. I also put together a little demo composition over yonder: https://soundcloud.com/hexspa/synth-patch-bass-this-cross/s-usLxx

Anyway, it’s getting late. Told the boys I’d join ’em down at the Saloon. That Ned, never pays his debts…

EDIT – sorry if I triple posted.

Attachments:
        August 18, 2018 at 5:54 pm #17903
        HexspaHexspa
        Participant

Good job on that patch, Joe! Soulful.

August 19, 2018 at 12:59 pm #17941
          Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
          Keymaster

YES. It’s like a sub bass with some low-mids punching my ears in the gut. Nice work.

August 19, 2018 at 7:15 pm #17966
            HexspaHexspa
            Participant

Thanks, Joe. I owe it all to you 🙂

August 21, 2018 at 12:51 pm #18040
              HexspaHexspa
              Participant

Here’s a bass, not mine and I don’t plan to recreate it, from an Aphex show:

It’s got some character!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.