• May 14, 2019 at 7:45 pm #26239
    FM 99ArcticBass77
    Participant

First let me say that I’m happy this forum exists. Syntorial is a treasure trove that definitely fills its niche.

Anyways I’ve found some powerful pads programmed on a high-end synthesizer called the Solaris and was wondering how I could make these sounds on my own synths. These patches are definitely professional grade and designed with a lot of experience.

“In Heaven” starts at 4:55. Note the gorgeous filter sweep with the modulation wheel:

“Cloudcover” 1:27:

May 22, 2019 at 6:13 am #26345
      Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
      Keymaster

Layers. This thing has a ton of everything, which allows for lots of layers. For example, the first patch “In Heaven” seems to built with something like this:

Layer 1

Oscillator: Two oscillators, both saw waves, both unison (4-5 voices voices) mildly detuned so that it doesn’t wobble but smears nicely. Pitch the 2nd oscillator up one octave.

Filter: Lowpass. 24 dB, with a bit of res. Bring the cutoff down to chop off the top edge and give it a little roundness, but still be bright.

Amp Envelope: Medium release to give it a tail

Layer 2

Oscillator: Noise. Simple white noise.

Filter: Sent through a different filter, also 24 dB, with hefty amount of Res.

Mod Wheel: Route to the filter cutoff

Amp Envelope: same as Layer 1

Layer 3

Oscillator: Big saw unison, at least 7 voices, with a pretty strong detune to make it aggressive

Filter: I hear two filters here. Start with a formant filter to give it a vocal-esque quality. Then go through a Lowpass with similar settings as Noise.

Mod Wheel: Also modulating this filter cutoff.

Amp envelope: same as other layers

And then run everything through a chorus to give it a softer texture.

May 23, 2019 at 9:48 pm #26398
        FM 99ArcticBass77
        Participant

You have a good ear. Thanks, Joe.

I haven’t yet nailed this one, and I’ve had to make some sacrifices due to note stealing, but my first attempt has still been a lot of fun. The result so far has a darker character, but it’s still a lush pad that I like. Here is the patch for the Access Virus if anyone is interested.

HeavnCovr3

Attachments:
          May 24, 2019 at 7:34 am #26409
          Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
          Keymaster

I haven’t yet nailed this one, and I’ve had to make some sacrifices due to note stealing, but my first attempt has still been a lot of fun. The result so far has a darker character, but it’s still a lush pad that I like. Here is the patch for the Access Virus if anyone is interested.

Sounds great. Very lush indeed. I’m loving the phaser.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.