• February 8, 2021 at 2:57 am #40671
    emilio palazzoloemilio palazzolo
    Participant

Hi guys, do you have any idea which synth/effects are being used for first the sound? Cheers

February 10, 2021 at 8:07 pm #40735
      Jonathan EppeleJonathan Eppele
      Participant

Sounds like a distortion effect, very much unlike that used in Syntorial.

After experimenting with different distortion types in Serum, I found that “Downsample” gave the closest, grinding almost 8-bit character to this sound. There are a few other things you have to do the sound to get it to match this patch, though. Here’s what I did:

Osc: Saw.

Osc 2: Medium Pulse, transposed up an octave.

Filter: I used Serum’s Distortion filter (on Pre), but you can also use the synth’s built-in filter. Low Pass, 24 dB. Have the cutoff down very low.

Resonance: The more you increase this, the more of that sweeping 8-bit character you get.

Distortion: Use Downsample. I found a good Drive setting to be at 31%. You do not want to crank it all the way, or you’ll lose the full sound this synth has in the bottom end.

Filter Envelope: Have the amount at a point where you’re happy with the amount of sweep you hear. Set the attack stage to a point where you’re satisfied with the speed of the sweep. Set the release stage as long as you can, because…

Amp Envelope: A little bit of release, not much. You don’t hear the filter moving during the amp release in this patch, which is the reason for making the filter envelope release so long.

Let me know if this helps. I’m unsure of whether or not that nasty grind sound after some of the notes are played is actually part of this patch.

February 25, 2021 at 4:19 pm #41033
        emilio palazzoloemilio palazzolo
        Participant

It helps a lot, thanks a lot you genius!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.