• December 26, 2019 at 12:59 pm #31696
    Trevor LeeTrevor Lee
    Participant

Hi,

Please can you help me with this patch..
      the sound that comes in at 2:07

Thanks in advance,
      Trevor

December 31, 2019 at 10:26 am #31776
      Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
      Keymaster

That’s a slick patch. Subtle and trippy. Try this:

Oscillator: Saw

Voice Mode: Mono mode, with Legato enabled.

LFO: Saw wave routed to volume. Set the rate to about an 1/8th note (you may have to change your DAW’s tempo to match song). This will play each separate note for you while holding a key. If your synth lets you edit the LFO waveform, create a quick and rounded ramp up at the beginning of the waveform so that the attack transient isn’t as sharp.

Amp Envelope: Long Attack, around 1 second, max Sustain, and a long Release around 2 seconds. Now when you hold a key, it will slowly swell in, while the LFO repeatedly plays individual notes. When you want to change the pitch of the note being played, move to the next note in a legato fashion, so that the envelope doesn’t restart (thanks to Legato mode). Once you get to the last note of the phrase, let go, and it will fade out while the LFO continues to repeat the note.

Filter: 24 dB Lowpass. A little bit of Res. A decent amount of Drive. Turn the Cutoff down to take a chunk of highs and create a nice round sound, but still allow for a bit of brightness. This will take a bit of tweaking.

Filter Envelope: Route the same envelope you used for the Amp Envelope (or a second envelope with the same exact settings) to the filter cutoff. Add a VERY small amount of modulation, so that filter just gets a tad brighter over the swell.

Reverb: Big size, and pretty wet. Adjust to taste.

February 8, 2021 at 1:40 am #40669
        Luke Swithenbanklukeswithenbank
        Participant

I love this song! I was hoping I could get a patch for the first synth-bass that comes it at the very beginning?

It seems like a pluck that hits 2 notes. Can’t seem to figure out how to make a synth do that.

February 10, 2021 at 9:44 am #40727
          Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
          Keymaster

When you say “2 notes” are you referring to how the bass goes back and forth between the really low subby note and the higher brighter note?

February 10, 2021 at 11:15 pm #40741
            Luke Swithenbanklukeswithenbank
            Participant

yeah! It seems like the second note sounds like it is a half pluck or something? The higher note sounds like its missing the attack

February 12, 2021 at 2:03 pm #40777
              Joe HanleyJoe Hanley
              Keymaster

Try this:

Oscillator: Saw. 3-voice Unison, with no width/spread, and enough Detune to smear but not wobble. And if you’re using a synth that allows you to control the volume of the different unison voices (like Serum), make the center voice louder than the two additional voices. This way the smearing is subtle, and you still have a solid center voice to create a more solid bass.

Filter: 24 dB Lowpass. Turn Cutoff down pretty far, give it a decent amount of Drive. Enable key tracking so that the higher voice is brighter than the lower voice.

Amp Envelope: Pluck shape. No Sustain, and a quick Decay. If your synth gives you the option, you want a flat decay curve. Just a straight line, sometimes referred to as “linear”. This is what makes the notes stop kind-of abruptly (which is what I think you mean by “half pluck”)

Filter Envelope: Same as Amp Envelope. Route it to the Cutoff with a modest modulation amount.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Topic Tags